Endoscopic retrograde cholangio pancreatography (ERCP):
More than 2000 examination per year is done in this unit. Both diagnostic and therapeutic measures are done.
Diagnostic measures include:
- Cholongiography looking for biliary stones or other cause of obstructive jaundice.
- Pancreatography looking for suspected chronic pancreatitis , pancreatic duct stones or pancreatic tumors.
- Localization of ampulla of vater looking for ampullary tumors.
Theraputic measures include:
- Localization and extraction of biliary stone via spherectomy and balloon or basket extraction of stones.
- Releiving the biliary obstruction by inserting a stent(plast or metallic) through the obstruction or insertion of rasobiliary tube as temporarly measures.
- Doing sphenectrotomy to decrease the pressure in common bile duct in the ease of biliary fistula.